Saturday, July 26, 2008

Patterns

Auditors can come from all types of disciplines. What you bring from one organizational experience can help you understand another organization or service. One of my most "ah-ha" moments was when I was being interviewed for my first auditor position. I was given a chart that showed information about a parking structure. It illustrated parking patterns of long term versus short term parkers. I was asked what kind of questions I would ask if I was going to study the usage. I looked at the pattern of the data and realized it was the same kind of pattern and dilemma that I had studied from my current organizational experience. I was working as an analyst for a public safety coordinating body. A question the criminal justice system always faces is how to manage jail population effectively when some offenders come in for short periods and others stay for months. I don't know if that is why I was hired, but my first response in that interview was "This is just like jails!"

No comments: