Saturday, August 16, 2008

Why blog?

I am a fan of blogs and read them regularly for information and points of view. We get insulated from different opinions and blogging is one way to expand the scope of information you would normally receive in conversations with co-workers, friends, and family or via standard news media. I have discovered many things from blogs that I wouldn't have seen without them - photos, You Tube videos, documents, and news stories.

I thought about blogging in the context of performance auditing because it is such an interesting profession. Audits are reported on in newspapers occasionally but the process, why and how conclusions were reached, rarely is. What is it that we do? I thought perhaps I could add to the information available. So goal #1 was to increase understanding.

But Goal #2 is the more risky and scary one. I wanted to start a dialogue, to share my thoughts and have others respond. As I have learned from email conversations, writing can easily be misinterpreted when you are unable to see how someone responds to what you are saying. But I decided to take the plunge and keep this online journal, recording thoughts as I have them about auditing.

No comments: