Thursday, October 16, 2008

Another reason to blog. LOL

There is an article today in the Oregonian (If I can ever find it on their website I will add a link - but that's another story in of itself.) about as you get older, brain exercise is needed as well as physical exercise. Especially recommended are word or math puzzles, but keeping a journal is on the list also. So...blogging can help exercise your mind and keep your brain healthy.

UPDATE: More exercise for the aging brain. I am on the right track. Here is an article about how internet use is good for the brain.

2 comments:

Keenguy said...

Well, if the internet is good for your brain, then I must be Einstein!

I play Brain Age when I'm on planes to keep my brain exercised.

Martin Walker said...

Hey there.

Well said. We should be thinking about exercising our brain as we think about exercising our bodies (and sometimes do...) I'm only 43 and I have felt the affects of brain decline. But I'd also say that a good brain training product can work wonders for younger people, too.

I run a company that publishes brain fitness software. Our primary product uses a training protocol that demands attention (i.e., you can't do it on auto-pilot) and requires dedicated effort (30 minutes per day) over a period of around 20 days. The result is an increase in fluid intelligence (raw problem-solving ability) of more than 40%. I'm elaborating partly to reemphasize your points, and partly to let people know that such software exists.

The training protocol we use was designed Susanne Jaeggi and Martin Buschkuehl's for their study on Improving Fluid Intelligence by Training Working Memory (PNAS April 2008). I was so impressed by their work that I contacted them and turned it into a commercial software program.

Mind Sparke Brain Fitness Pro

Best wishes,
Martin Walker
mind evolve, llc
www.mindsparke.com