Saturday, October 18, 2008

Soul and Passion

It might seem incongruous that an auditor would think about soul and passion, but an interesting juxtaposition has occurred for me. Working through an audit, facing challenges from the auditee who many times may be in disagreement, reporting to the governing body in a public session, and answering questions by the press can be intimidating. But what sustains me is a belief in the audit process, factual evidence that cannot be denied, and a passion for improving government. Auditing standards and procedures offer a framework and an objectivity that can distance you from emotions and taking things personally.

But in another part of my life I am an artist. And this is very scary for me. Why? There is a process and techniques, but ultimately what you put on canvas and expose to others is your soul. There is no way to distance yourself from the work or not be emotional. You have created something that has meaning and is beautiful to you. It is like giving a gift and not knowing if the other person will appreciate it.

I have found however there are some connections in these two parts of my life. As an auditor and an artist you look for patterns, movement, and placement. You are interested in conflict and power. And you are looking for effect.

1 comment: